History Timeline

1914 Establishment of the Institute for Agricultural Research by Ohara Farmer’s Association
Founder Magosaburo Ohara (more in Japanese)
First director Mantaro Kondo (more in Japanese)
1915
Photo of the founding members of the Institute for Agricultural Research
(Front row from the left: Ayanosuke Kawamata, Mantaro Kondo, Magosaburo Ohara, Kiyoshi Hara, Shigeru Osugi, Chiaki Miyake. Third person in back row from left: Rakuzan Koyama (more in Japanese))
1918
Early photo of the Institute for Agricultural Research
South view of the institute (front to back: flowers and ornamental plants, fruit trees, research buildings)
1929 Institute was renamed to Ohara Agricultural Research Center
1952 Institute becomes affiliated with School of Agricultural Science, Okayama University
1953 Renamed to Institute for Agricultural Biology (First director: Dr. Yoshikazu Nishikado; more in Japanese) with 5 divisions: Applied Entomology, Biochemistry, Plant Genetics, Plant Pathology and Plant Physiology.
1960 Establishment of Division of Micrometeorology
1963
Panoramatic view of the institute
1966
Panoramatic view of the institute
Establishment of Division of Biological Water Quality Science
1970 Establishment of Division of Weed Science
1979 Establishment of Barley Germplasm Center
1988 Reorganized and renamed to Okayama University Research Institute for Bioresources, including Division of Gene Expression, Division of Biological Mechanistic Analysis, Division of Response to Environment, Division of Life Cycle Analysis (Division of Visiting Foreign Scholar), and Barley Germplasm Center
1997 Establishment of Barley and Wild Plant Resource Center
Closing Division of Life Cycle Analysis (Division of Visiting Foreign Scholar), and Barley Germplasm Center
2003 Institute structure reformed to Division of Functional Development and Regulation and Division of Environmental Response Analysis, with 15 research groups (closing Division of Gene Expression, Division of Biological Mechanistic Analysis, Division of Response to Environment)
2004 Transformation of Okayama University to an independent corporation under National University reform
The 90th anniversary of the Institute
2010
Panoramic view of the current institute
Reformed/renamed to Institute of Plant Science and Resources, Okayama University
Designated as nationwide “Joint Usage/Research Center”
2014 Celebrating 100 years from its establishment as Ohara Institute for Agricultural Research
2015 01-all
New Advanced Plant Research Building is opened on June-3
2016 Relief-MOObelisk-RK
Magosaburo Ohara relief and Rakuzan Koyama monument were unveiled on Feb 4